Tuesday 19 April 2011

Alessi's Ark - Maybe I Know

Was it really 2008 when we put Alessi’s Ark in our Ones To Watch for 2009 alongside what became big hitters such as Florence & The Machine, La Roux, Mumford & Sons, Marina & The Diamonds and er…. Skint & Demoralised? Ok, well not all big hitters, but that’s not the point of the Ones To Watch list in the first place. But yes, it was 2008 and you know what they say about time and fun and flying and the like. So here we are in 2011 and next week sees the release of the second album from Alessi, entitled Time Travel. In preparation for this Alessi tackles the 60's pop classic by Leslie Gore - Maybe I Know. The song was one of two hits that Gore had in the UK, the other being her most well-known song It’s My Party which went top 10 in the UK and was a number 1 in the US.

As with everything that Alessi does the song is initially musically sweet and charming, but here the lyrics offer a sadder side – the character in the song is with a love rat and he’s cheating on her. “My friends are telling me that he's no good. He isn't treating me the way he should. He really loves me that's all I can say. Before my tears fall I just walk away.”

Keeping the 60’s style of the song Alessi and her band of minstrels intertwine the tune with her folk roots to create probably the most poppy and overtly commercial thing she’s released to date.

Alessi's Ark - "Maybe I Know" by Yep Roc Music Group

Alessi's Ark- Maybe I Know from Bella Union on Vimeo.

No comments: