Thursday 6 March 2014

Marika Hackman - Deep Green


Having topped this year’s Blog Sound of 2014 poll alongside Banks (two very different artists demonstrating how not all bloggers think or like the same) Marika Hackman returns with a taster from her forthcoming Deaf Heat EP. Starting with jungle drums and Marika’s eerie vocal moans Deep Green develops into something that is weirdly bewitching and slightly unsettling, the song itself dealing with that age old question of commitment. “Beat me at my own damn game, f*cking with my god damn brain,” she sings in her unique near-lackadaisical voice. “Just because I love your skin, doesn’t mean I’ll jump in, the water’s clean and warm and green, I’m not allowed to swim, I’m scared of getting in,” she continues. Come on Marika, you know what they say, better to have lost in love than never to have loved at all. Hold on, it seems that she knows this as well as she reveals: “You know I’m going to get wet.” Somebody buy her some armbands, just in case.

Marika Hackman - Deep Green

No comments: