Ten thoughts about the new Charli XCX video:
1. Charli XCX is ‘keeping it real’. The video is very post-modern and Tumblr generation. It isn’t presented in widescreen and appears to have been done on pretty much zero budget. Maybe they spent it all on the takeaway pizza.
2. Charli XCX appears to possess a poor memory having forgotten to put on any trousers or a skirt for the start of the video. Yes this is one for the pervs.
3. Charli XCX is obviously VERY forgetful, having forgotten to take off her clothes before she gets in the bath. This is not the first time that this has occurred (see here). You would think she would learn wouldn’t you? (1.39)
4. Charli XCX appears to have a very deep bath. It reminds us a little of that toilet scene in Trainspotting, but much much cleaner. That's one thing you can say about Charli XCX; with all this jumping into baths with her clothes on, she's a very clean pop star. She probably doesn't smell like your typical unwashed indie band boy who hasn't changed his pants in days. We know who we'd rather sniff. (That's another one for the pervs)
5. Charli XCX may now almost be a proper pop star (although she’s yet to have a sales hit and when we saw her on a main stage at one particular festival last summer she played to just a handful of people whilst Charlotte Church pulled in the masses on the second stage, so the crossover from 'internet / blog sensation' to proper pop star has yet to be fully realised, although lots of support slots with Ellie Goulding and Marina & The Diamonds will help ) but essentially this video goes back in time to her early days in so far as its just her bouncing around pretending to be a child pretending to be an adult if that makes any sense.
6. Charli XCX has some of the best shoes in pop (1.09). We bet she doesn't jump in the bath with those on.
7. Charli XCX worked with J£zus Million on this track, he previously featured on part of Charli’s Super Ultra mix tape that wasn’t a tape at all and was actually a stream.
8. Charli XCX is in danger of becoming a hipster parody, (her forthcoming sold out London show is at The Old Blue Last in so called trendy Shoreditch, which is basically this decades version of what Camden was during Britpop – we think this says it all) but thankfully she’s now racked up a decent bunch of songs which when spread out over an album will make it at least a 7/10er. If you're in the UK you can get a free download minimix of the album from here to give you an idea of what's coming. It’s been a long journey though, Charli first featured on Breaking More Waves almost 3 and a half years ago.
9. Even if part of the Charli XCX 'brand' is a bit hipster parody there's still something weirdly appealing about her; there's a certain girl-in-her-bedroom-miming-with-her-hairbrush-in-front-of-the-mirror sense of non-professionalism about what she does that we like. She's got bottles (possibly Lucozade) of energy as well.
10. No, we’re not going to mention the dog. It’s just ridiculous.
Charli XCX - What I Like (Video)
Post a Comment