Friday 22 December 2017

12 Musical Highlights From Breaking More Waves Blog Posts In 2017

Over the last couple of years I’ve become convinced that wherever possible an end of year list shouldn’t be published till the end of the year. It makes sense right? Otherwise it’s a lie.

However, being pragmatic, this just isn’t always possible for most people writing about music – other commitments in life get in the way. 

I will be sticking to my guns though and won’t be forming my end of year album list until the day before Dec 31st and will then publish it in a series of blog posts (1 post about each album) on New Year’s Eve. Or at least that's the plan. It could go horribly wrong, but I like a challenge.

Before I get there though, I’m going slightly against my word. Here’s a songs of the year list, of sorts. It’s not a true songs of the year list, because some of my favourite songs of 2017 didn’t feature on Breaking More Waves (lack of spare time preventing me from writing about them) and this list just features tracks from the blog.

There are a couple of rules I’ve applied:

1. No artist can feature more than once (otherwise Sigrid and Confidence Man would have multiple entries)

2. The song must have had a video.

3. I've chosen 1 song from each month - which meant some tough choices. Some months had releases I preferred than others.

So this essentially is a ‘my best of Breaking More Waves 2017’ in video form.

Also, just for a change I’m not providing any written commentary. This is just a list for you to quickly scroll through and click on any of the tracks you may not have heard. There will be (hopefully) plenty of commentary on my end of year albums list instead.

January - Jain - Heads Up



February - Pale Waves - There's A Honey



March - Lorde - Green Light



April - Tom Adams - Come On Dreamer



May - Sigrid - Don't Kill My Vibe



June - Confidence Man - Boyfriend



July - Sofi Tukker - F*ck They



August - Gabrielle Aplin - Waking Up Slow



September - Curxes - In Your Neighbourhood



October - Gang Of Youths - The Deepest Sighs, The Frankest Shadows



November - Dream Wife - Let's Make Out



December - Johnny Marr & Maxine Peake - The Priest

No comments: