Monday 13 May 2019

New Music: Arlo Day - This Love


Over the last week I’ve been wracking up the footsteps (over 60,000 in 3 days) at Great Escape in Brighton – Europe’s leading new music festival. The one question I was asked time and time again as I chatted to other punters, in between the music, is who have you seen that you’ve really rated? For the record some of my favourites that I haven’t seen before were The Murder Capital, Chai and Celeste. Other highlights were from Squid, Another Sky and Confidence Man but they are all acts I’ve seen on a number of occasions before Great Escape.

However, today I’m featuring an artist that in certain respects I was surprised not to spot anywhere on the bill at Great Escape given she has been signed to Domino Records and is new. But perhaps that's because she is supporting AlaskaAlaska in Brighton tomorrow. Her name is Arlo Day.

This Love is the second track to be released from her debut EP which comes out at the end of this month, following the introspectively divine Bad Timing. An exquisitely doleful sounding piece it finds Arlo contemplating a relationship with someone she knows isn’t good for her: “You are like a drug to, but I can’t let you get to me.” It’s a song that has extra weight because of its musical subtlety. This one feels special. Give it a listen below.

Arlo Day - This Love

No comments: