Thursday 23 October 2008

Alessi's Ark - New Waves @ Breaking More Waves


“My songs are like potions, I have my guitar and I'm stirring a big cauldron of ideas,” says Alessi Laurent-Marke, who is Alessi's Ark. It’s time to knock back that potion and feel the magic.

But first, an apology. This month has already seen four pieces reflecting on the wonder of various female artists that have rocked or at least gently swayed my musical boat. I was not intending to produce any more for a while. But then I read a post on The Daily Growl, and just a few hours later, I am compelled to write another, but this time with a note attached reminding me that there is more to music than angel voiced girls.

Hailing from West London this artist produces beautiful, organic, lush acoustic folk with a pretty childlike tone that will inevitably draw many comparisons vocally to Bjork, Joanna Newsom and Julia Stone. This however is fine company to be compared to.

Her songs are spindle soft silken lullabies filled with delicate romantic lyrics; whether she’s singing about crystals around the moon and dreams of kissing someone between the eyes on Woman, or how she was told that kite flying is for lovers at the start of The Horse. Alessi has a breathless natural dreamy vocal that will make you want to waltz in the fallen autumn leaves. Or maybe fall in love. It's not all serenely gentle though. The Dog grows quickly from gentle strumming to a banjo flavoured full band effort reminiscent of a female fronted Thrills.

If you are lucky you can catch Alessi's Ark on tour next month as she is out on the road across the UK with Brighton’s Peggy Sue (formerly Peggy Sue and the Pirates) and Derek Meins. An album is also due to follow.

No comments: