Tuesday, 31 December 2013
12 From '13 - Some Of The Best Songs Featured On Breaking More Waves This Year
We’re geting ready to say goodbye to 2013 as its sun begins to set. Before we do so, here are some 2013 blog related facts then some music:
1. This year we’ve uploaded close to 400 blog posts.
2. 400 posts is quite a lot of words (the equivalent of a novel) and a lot of music (the equivalent of about 40 albums worth).
3. If you had read and listened to everything we've posted in 2013, at a guess, it would have taken you about 45 hours of your life - the equivalent of a working week.
4. Its difficult to quantify, but we reckon we've spent the equivalent of between 7 and 8 working weeks on Breaking More Waves this year (if you include listening to music that we may / may not include on the blog and other blog related activities such as emailing artists / labels and their representatives, a bit of social media stuff, but excluding gigs and festivals). Yet despite being quite time heavy, having to balance it against the day job, family etc, at no stage has it ever felt like work in terms of the pressures and responsibilities that our real day job places upon us. We've enjoyed everything that comes from writing Breaking More Waves, probably more so this year than any year before.
5. We've seen a fair few well known blogs give up in 2013 due to the usual reasons of lack of motivation (see this post on Chromewaves for one example) or some that were on hiatus then vanished with no real public explanation (what did happen to The Recommender?). Then there were others that moved on to do other exciting things; our favourite girl on the block / in a field / up a mountain Flying With Anna closed down to open a new chapter (and blog) in her life as she set off on her travels. And so after 5 and a half years of Breaking More Waves is also stopping. Till tomorrow that is. We need a break. But 24 hours should be enough. See you at 8.30am on New Years Day?
And that's it. We’re closing our year by featuring 12 of our favourite (and therefore 'best') songs we've featured from 2013, each one in video form. For once, we 're providing no commentary on the individual tracks, we think we've said all we want to say for one year.
This isn’t a definitive list as we’ve chosen 1 song from each month’s worth of posts, meaning that on really good months a number of great songs have had to be sacrificed and some songs that we adore haven’t made the cut as they never had a video.
If you missed any of these gems we highly recommend you press play. The artists who have created these beauties deserve at least that.
We wish you a very happy New Year. We’ll be back tomorrow in 2014.
Twelve from thirteen = the ones.
Thank you for reading.
Indiana - Bound
Public Service Broadcasting - Signal 30
Lorde - Royals
Lana Del Rey - Young And Beautiful
John Newman - Love Me Again
Chvrches - Gun
London Grammar - Strong
Flyte - Over and Out
FKA Twigs - Papi Pacify
Mononoke - Alice
Wolf Alice - Blush
Laura Doggett - Sometimes