Saturday 3 October 2020

24 Hour Blogathon - Amongst The Pigeons - Before The Storm Hits

This post is part of a 24 hour blogathon (conducted after a 10 mile run) in support of Solent Mind, a mental health support charity. I would be really grateful if you would help by sponsoring me and help raise some funds for the charity. 

You can find my sponsorship page by clicking this link

I’m certainly not intending for every song that I post today to be the work of an artist that was due to play Dials Festival 2020, but given the reason for me doing this 24 hour blogathon is the cancellation of the festival due to Covid-19, I’m inevitably going to shine a little bit of a spotlight on new releases from artists that were due to play.

This track features not 1 but 2 people that were due to play in Lord John Russell’s this afternoon. Amongst The Pigeons is an artist who immediately gets my approval, given his penchant for all things ornithological. In fact he’s the only act I know of (besides me when I do my ambient DJ sets under the name DJ Birdsong) who likes to dress on stage as a bird.

However, there’s absolutely nothing ambient about his music. Daniel Parson (who is Amongst The Pigeons) is a producer who makes weird, wonky electronic music and claims that his latest single Before The Storm Hits doesn’t sound to dissimilar to acts such as Hot Chip and Metronomy. He’s not wrong. If you like those bands, you'll probably dig this. Here Fast Trains (Tom Wells – another artist that was due to play Dials) adds his smooth vocals over the rubbery throb of the music to give it a nice balanced dark pop sound.

Amongst The Pigeons says of the track: “After listening you could be mistaken for thinking it is a song about the corona virus lockdown but the lyrics were actually written in early 2020,  way before hoarding toilet roll became a thing.  However, the lyrics and mood of the song seem more apt now than when the song was created.”

Amongst The Pigeons (featuring Tom Wells) - Before The Storm Hits


No comments: