Thursday 3 November 2016

New Music: Fickle Friends - Brooklyn


It seems a little weird to me that Fickle Friends are still, to most people, considered a new band, but then most people aren't new music obsessives like me (and hopefully you) are they? Mind you it was December 2013 when they first cropped up on Breaking More Waves with the slightly scrappy but charming I Want / You Want - a fair old time ago.  Since then they’ve polished up, conquered the blogs and got signed by a major label. 

Next on their step by step journey comes new song Brooklyn, which certainly doesn’t break the mould in terms of their brand of upbeat danceable indie pop – it’s utterly recognisable as Fickle Friends right from the word go. Yet despite the effervescence of the music, the subject matter is much more serious, with Natti singing about her anxiety - an issue that seems to be being talked about increasingly more, particularly on social media and by musicians and artists. In fact, a fairly recent survey showed that 60% of musicians have had some sort of mental illness (see here) and one of the latest musicians to talk specifically about anxiety is James Arthur (see here).

 “The whole song is metaphorical and kind of talks about anxiety as someone you don’t understand or recognise,” says Natti.  “It’s probably the song that means the most to me because 1 year on I look back at how panicked I was by it all and now, although it’s something that affects me most days, I feel like I’ve got more of a handle on what’s going on in my head.”

Fickle Friends are on tour in the UK later this month, finishing off on the 1st December at Heaven in London.

Fickle Friends - Brooklyn


No comments: