Friday 31 January 2014

24 Hour Blogathon : Starts Today 10am For Cancer Research UK


A few personal words from Robin Seamer, author of Breaking More Waves:

“A few years ago my dad, Colin, passed away due to cancer – a terrible illness that affects many people around the world. As time has passed I’ve realised that I’ve never really done anything in connection with it so at the end of last year thought I’d put this blog to some real use and try to raise some money for charity by doing a sponsored 24 hour blogathon.

Compared with some of the incredible sponsored activities some people do, like running a marathon or sailing across the world single-handed, staying up all night to complete an activity isn’t that hard, particularly if you’re young and have no responsibilities other than yourself. However, for me this is quite a challenge – I’m not young for a start. Also like many parents I’m pretty much permanently knackered; ‘a ‘lay in’ for me is anything more than 7 hours sleep. I’m beginning this blogathon after a week of work , 2 kids to look after and have prepared for it in the worst way possible -by getting in late at night after going to a gig in Brighton yesterday, driving home past midnight afterwards and then getting up early in the morning to pack the kids off to school. So I’m starting this on 5 and a half hours sleep. That should make it more interesting later.

Thankfully I’m not doing this blogathon alone. 

For over in Norwich another music blogger, Adam from Alphabet Bands is joining me also blogging for 24 hours non-stop.

We’re starting at exactly 10am GMT this morning and at that time I’ll be publishing a pre-scheduled post explaining exactly what I’ll be doing over the next 24 hours with a set of our own self-applied rules. If you subscribe to my twitter feed (here) or get the blog content in some form of subscription service such as RSS I’ll try not to overload you; there won’t be posts published every 15 minutes, it will be a little bit slower than that. Remember this is a marathon / blogathon not a sprint and if I go at it like a bull in a china shop not only will I exhaust my brain but I’ll quite probably run out of ideas for content.

The Important Bit


Breaking More Waves is a fully unfunded music blog – it’s proudly independent, both in the thoughts expressed and in its lack of financial dependence from the likes of advertising. The independent web is important to me – I’m beholden to nobody. What I decide to write about, when and how I decide to write are my choices alone. Over the last 5 years I’ve kept to this ethos and put a lot of effort in (nearly 2000 posts) for no financial reward - just the fun of doing it.

But for the next 24 hours I want your cash – not for me – but for Cancer Research UK. Think of it like this; over the course of the last 5 years I’ve spent several months of my life creating this blog and not been paid a penny. For the next 24 hours I’d like some money for that, and that money to go to help fighting Cancer. Please donate – you can give as little as £2 using the buttons below. It would mean a lot to me. Thank you”

Breaking More Waves sponsored 24 hour blogathon starts at 10.00am. Please sponsor using the links or buttons below:

Breaking More Waves sponsorship link

Alphabet Bands sponsorship link


Or use this button

JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

This tune seems appropriate:

Felix Cartal - No Sleep (feat. Natalie Angiuli)

No comments: