Tuesday 3 July 2018

New Music: Introducing - Your Smith


The first time I heard The Spot by ‘new’ artist Your Smith my immediate thought was that it had an uncanny resemblance to All I Wanna Do by Sheryl Crow – the one song by Crow that surely everybody knows?

One quick Google search later and it turns out that Your Smith isn’t that new. (But she isn't Crow in disguise either). She’s actually been releasing material as far back as 2008, first as part of the band Caroline Smith and the Good Night Sleeps and then as a solo artist under her own name. In 2016 she put out Let ‘Em Say with Lizzo and the smooth tap dancing jam of Trying Not To Love You, marking a progression from her earlier folky roots to a more contemporary modern pop sound.

Now as Your Smith she’s got a new haircut (always important in the world of smash hits – don’t listen to those who say this stuff isn’t important – haircuts are an ingrained part of pop culture) and the new name. Of the new name she says: “The change in name is less of a reinvention and more of an engagement with that part of me. I’m still me. I’m still your Smith.” I guess the same applies to the haircut as well.

Her debut EP under her new moniker has been produced by Tommy English (BØRNS), Stint (Carly Rae Jepsen, Nao, AlunaGeorge) and Nicky Davey (Internet, Syd) and The Spot is released via Neon Gold Records who I haven’t featured anything from on this blog for an age. If this is an All I Wanna Do for the year 2018, I’ll take that. 

Your Smith - The Spot

No comments: