Friday 23 February 2018

New Music: Boniface - Phantom Limbs


Last year when Canadian whizz-kid Boniface put his debut track on line it felt like he was almost embarrassed about pop music. I Will Not Return As A Tourist was the sound of someone sneaking into the room and standing huddled in the corner for a bit before suddenly pulling out the party poppers, balloons and dancing wildly whilst spilling champagne on the carpet. Then second track Again & Again took Boniface back to being all introspective, sentimental and probably offering to pay for the carpet cleaning bill, whilst singing about ‘smoking weed and watching Hitchcock’, a little bit like Conor Oberst / Bright Eyes. However, track three, Phantom Limbs, released earlier this week, steps fully out of the closet. This is wide-eyed unashamed pop music.

Of the track, Micah Visser, who is Boniface says: “I wrote Phantom Limbs a few years ago when I was starting to become really unhappy with the way I was treating myself and the way my friends were treating themselves. I wrote it out of frustration without much redemption, and in the years since I’ve really tried to stop doing that. I think it's stuck with the band and I because it’s just really fun to play and we like that contrast.”

With big glossy hands in the air synths and a sense of euphoria in the music this one is geared up for hedonistic times. It's panoramic electronic pop for you to adore.

You can catch Boniface at SXSW in Austin, Texas this March and the Great Escape in Brighton, UK in May. 

Boniface - Phantom Limbs

No comments: