Thursday 22 February 2018

New Music: Janelle Monáe - Make Me Feel (Video)


Looking back at my last few hours Twitter feed (which mainly consists of the music types that I follow), there has been one singular opinion that has stood out with universal agreement, and that is that the new Janelle Monáe single is really rather bloody brilliant.

This worried me a lot. Because every now and then, when the internet gets excited about a song en masse, I often find that I’m a bit underwhelmed by it. Sometimes my opinion changes; for example I initially thought Daft Punk’s Get Lucky, which had that same extreme online reaction, was just OK. But now I’m firmly of the mindset that it is one of the best pop songs of the last 10 years and hope and expect it will be on all those end of decade lists (not too long before we get those folks…). Yet other times I find myself failing to understand why everyone that I follow seems to love something so much and I never ever get beyond that point.

But it’s OK here. More than OK. Because Make Me Feel, from Janelle's new album Dirty Computer, her first in five years, is ridiculously good. Yes, there’s a big dollop of Prince’s Kiss in the track, but heck if you’re going to reference something, choose something great. And Kiss is great. Sure Prince had even greater, but Kiss is up there in the leading pack.

This is pop music’s equivalent of a couple of strong cocktails downed quickly then getting straight onto the dance floor without a care in the world. 

Janelle Monáe is here to make you feel damn good. You’re not going to be able to help yourself.

Well done Janelle. Well done Twitter. Well done music.

Janelle Monáe - Make Me Feel (Video)

No comments: