Thursday 3 March 2016

New Music: Introducing - Rosie Carney


I first came across Rosie Carney, originally from my home city of Portsmouth but currently based in Downings co Donegal, Ireland in 2013 when her name cropped up near the bottom of the bill at Bushstock festival. At the time I thought she had plenty of potential but the songs weren’t quite there yet. Now, three years on and still only at the age of 18, that lurking talent has turned into something rather wonderful.

Rosie’s song Antidote mixes a delicate country twang, an acoustic folk beauty and a soft voice that creates magic and musical kisses. Carney describes Antidote as a “plea to embrace and feel - rather than reject and mask - the heartbreak associated with loss,” but frankly she could be singing about shoving a chocolate bar in her mouth and I’d have been impressed. Then there’s Better Man, a song so awash with melancholy that it left me speechless and haunted. A word of advice, don’t as I did, watch the video for the first time at 2am after a very long day - it had me welling up. Another tune Winter (which you can find using this link or on Spotify) reminds me a little of first album Laura Marling (my favourite of Laura’s work)

With a guest vocal on Seafret’s song To The Sea, a slot at this year’s SXSW festival and a cover version of Cyndi Lauper’s party anthem Girls Just Wanna Have Fun (that sounds nothing like a party anthem - watch here), Rosie Carney is slowly getting her name out there. Having cast a spell on me, let her do the same for you.

Rosie Carney - Antidote



Rosie Carney - Better Man (Video)

No comments: