“I wrote this song about being really good at adulting yeah?” says Breaking More Waves regular and Isle of Wight resident Lauran Hibberd of her new song Hunny Is This What Adults Do?
To answer her question, here’s a quick adulting checklist. How many do you score out of 10?
1. Manage to put up a shelf, straight and level that doesn’t fall down.
2. Cook a roast dinner for your family rather than having one cooked for you.
3. Drive a car.
4. Mow a lawn.
5. Have a pension.
6. Getting up before 7.30am on a Saturday because you have things to do.
7. Hope to get socks for Christmas.
8. Arriving on time for a party.
9. Be the first to leave the party because you have (6) above to do tomorrow.
10. Own a well-stocked fridge (not stocked by your parents).
Whilst Lauran doesn’t actually deal with any of these in her latest release, irrespective of if she’s got being an adult sussed or not, she certainly knows how to write a cracking indie pop tune and this one is no different. After all, what’s not to like about a song that has a simple guitar intro that’s like a slowed down version of the start of The Proclaimers I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles)? Mind you I’m not sure how relatable Lauran’s strangely positive attitude about going to work on a Monday will be for all listeners - adult or not. Or is she just being a tiny bit ironic here? Perhaps so....
Lauran’s had a pretty positive year which included a main stage slot at Bestival and a succession of highly enjoyable releases. She caps it off on the 16th December where she’ll be headlining a show on her homeland of the Isle of Wight at Strings in Newport. If you are on the Island or fancy jumping on a hovercraft or ferry over from the mainland, you can grab tickets by clicking here.
Lauran Hibberd - Hunny Is This What Adults Do?